The Qianlong Emperor as Manjusri, the Bodhisattva of Wisdom
Giuseppe Castiglione
Qianglong reign/Mid 18th Century/1736-96
Ink, color, and gold on silk
Freer and Sackler: The Smithsonians Museums of Asian Art
I chose this piece because it's gorgeous for one, and I like all the details and vibrant colors. I'm intrigued about the history behind this work of art, because the artist was an Italian Jesuit missionary serving at the Chinese court under the reign of the Qianglong emperor. It shows how multicultural his empire was. Also, I've always had an interest in learning more about bodhisattvas
http://www.asia.si.edu/collections/chinese_highlights.asp
Giuseppe Castiglione
Qianglong reign/Mid 18th Century/1736-96
Ink, color, and gold on silk
Freer and Sackler: The Smithsonians Museums of Asian Art
I chose this piece because it's gorgeous for one, and I like all the details and vibrant colors. I'm intrigued about the history behind this work of art, because the artist was an Italian Jesuit missionary serving at the Chinese court under the reign of the Qianglong emperor. It shows how multicultural his empire was. Also, I've always had an interest in learning more about bodhisattvas
http://www.asia.si.edu/collections/chinese_highlights.asp

I think it is interesting that this piece was don by an Italian missonary. I would not have thought so by just looking at it. There is alot of asian influence especially in the buddhist possitions of the figures. I love that there is a lot of color to this piece usually it really does look beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI agree! (: The style of the piece is also a Tibetan-style religious painting.. so there is a lot of cultural influence involved.
ReplyDelete