The Thatched Hut of Dreaming of an ImmortalBy: Tang Yin
Early 16Th century
Ming Dynasty
Hand scroll
Ink and Color on Paper
China
I choose this painting for it beautiful landscape. In the past I have enjoyed Chinese landscape painting and I love the contrast in this one of the smooth rocks and jagged tree. I love the sneaky little structures that are placed within the painting, like the thatched hut hiding behind the tree. You can even see a little man in the hut with a sleeping cap on. I think the Ma dots in the picture add texture to the mountains in the foreground. I like that the mountains slowly fade into the background adding a sort of mysticism to the piece.
http://www.asia.si.edu/collection/chinese_highlights.asp (picture's ulr)
I love ink paintings because of this class. I really enjoy the variety of effects that you can get with these types of paintings. Washes really add a lot to the whole piece.
ReplyDeleteThis painting dates earlier than the parameters of the course, but if you feel like you have the background to work on this piece, I'll allow it. In the final research paper, you might want to compare this work with Qing landscapes to make your paper relevant to class subject matter.
ReplyDelete